Sunday, April 26, 2009

My special day with Dad!


Since coming home I’ve been on a mission to get back in touch with my small-town girl roots and, of course, spending more time with my family. For the past year I have been living the big-city and jetsetter lifestyle and now it is time to remember the great times I had growing up in Breese.

My dad recently asked me to go turkey hunting with him in Iuka, IL. At first I was timid about going since I’m not too keen on killing animals for sustainability reasons, but I decided to make the best of it and see my dad in his prime.

The day started off with a nice wake up call at 4:30am, I eagerly jumped out of bed and literally dressed myself to kill. Kate lent me her hunting clothes, so I wouldn’t be out of place in the timber- I wouldn’t want to be an embarrassment. Hunters often act so laid back, but I’ve found that they are just as picky about their clothes and accessories as a high-end fashionista.

Hopping into the truck, dad and I were off for the woods. But first, we had to stop by CC Food Mart for a Clinton County breakfast of doughnuts and coffee. I thought about getting the true CC breakfast (Ski and a doughnut), but I didn’t think my body would be able to handle the sugar overload as I’ve been gone way to long ...that type of intake takes training, ya know!

We made it to the timber just after daybreak – the sunrise was beautiful! Pulling up I was quite nervous, I was afraid I would do the “uncool” thing and scare away all the wildlife. If you know me well, you know I can’t sit still very long and love to chat about anything.

Dad set us up in a pop-up tent in the middle of a grassy field where he believed the turkeys frequented. We sat, made turkey noises, discussed life, took naps, read books, but most of all enjoyed each others company. Although we , excuse me, he, did not shoot a turkey, we did see two deer, a hen (female turkey?), a turtle, and a few frogs. It was a lot of fun. We had to be incognito the whole time…it was so hard for me. I tried so hard, but could hold still. I hope I wasn’t the reason the turkeys didn’t come around.

After our hunting excursion, Dad and I had an honorary Earth and Arbor Day as we planted over 150 tree saplings around his 60 acres. We made such a team - I placed and he dug. Planting the trees was such a refreshing task, especially for a wannabe environmentalist like me.

Observing my dad hunting, walking and four-wheeling around the forest, and planting trees truly reminded me of what I’ve missed while traveling and working in NYC. I am so grateful my dad asked me to go with him, I look forward to more father/daughter excursions.

1 comment:

  1. She forgot to mention they brought ticks home! I had one on me...who did not go hunting!

    ReplyDelete